Monday 26 September 2011

I dare you to move

Over the last few weeks I’ve seen a lot of changes take place. My room has acquired a surfboard, a trophy, three books and a new set of headphones. My bank account’s balance has decreased, and my pile of T-shirts has increased. My knee brace is starting to fall apart, and my cooking skills are starting to come together.  Life is a lot of things, but is it ever stagnant? Can you ever reach a point where you’re satisfied, not only with what’s around you, but also with what’s within you? There has always been an aspect or two of my personality that I’ve wanted to mould and transform...so lately I’ve been thinking – can you ever become all you’re meant to be? Perhaps the journey is the destination. Perhaps the tension between who we are and who we want to be is undeniable and unending. Sometimes I wonder why I’m here and not there – feeling swept up in the winds of momentum, but realising that I’m standing still. People often say you ‘find yourself’ at university and I’m starting to wonder if some of my ‘being’ is still out there...and if so, is it like a relationship (in that if you look for it, you won’t find it?) Do you wake up one day and think to yourself...I’m me? There’s a famous saying out there that goes ‘as a man thinketh, so is he’, but what if you THINK there’s more to come? It’s only logical to expect change right? It’s a part of who we are. If it sounds like I’m having an identity crisis, then I have misled you. I’m simply thinking ahead (which was triggered by a copious amount of formal photos from the class of 2011, which once again reminded me how fast time flies). If I was asked whether or not I know who I am in this present moment, then I would say yes. I know my mannerisms, I know my every thought...but I guess I don’t know my full potential. There’s more to people than ever imaginable. Everyone can be great and everyone can be terrible. Everyone is unpredictable – which forces the question, is unpredictability part of who we are? A cliché in our society today is ‘I know you, you would/wouldn’t do that’, but what if someone does something SO unpredictable and out of character? Is it a one-off, or do you need to re-learn who they are? My point is that you can never really fully understand someone else, let alone yourself. In the end...even though I don’t know what lies ahead, I’m pretty pumped because the barriers that hold me back now might be broken in a year’s time.

Quote Bank:  “Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are” – Bertolt Brecht



No comments:

Post a Comment